Friday, January 29, 2010

That's all I do all day...I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all.  Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me.  And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff.  What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them.  That's all I do all day.  I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all.  I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be." Holden Caulfield, protagonist in The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger


That is in honor of JD Salinger who passed away at the age of 91 yesterday.  I love that book.  More specifically, I love the character Holden Caulfield.  (I'm one of those people that would get like two cats, or two fish, or two dogs, horses, ants, whatever, and name one Holden and the other Caulfield that's how much I love this book)


To me, it was very existential.  I am an existentialist and anything that just explores being is fascinating to me.  I guess the crux of what I liked is how he feels so isolated and he's understood, yet he just sees everything.  He's an observer, and he may not know all of it, but the reason he observes is so he can understand it.  Figure out how the world and people tick.  He examines existence everyday.  And I like writing like that because it forces me to step back and examine it too.  


Anyways, just wanted to share my two cents on that book, and thank JD Salinger for giving it to us!  



No comments:

Post a Comment